Virginian State Police advised Virginians to avoid unnecessary travel Sunday night through Monday due to icy road conditions.
As of 3:30 p.m. Monday (Feb. 15), Virginia State Police were on scene of 37 traffic crashes statewide and responding to an additional 9 disabled vehicles across the Commonwealth.
From midnight Monday (Feb. 15) through 2 p.m. Monday (Feb. 15), Virginia State Police troopers and supervisors responded to 538 traffic crashes and 347 disabled vehicles across the Commonwealth. As of 4 p.m. Monday, only one traffic fatality had been reported, which occurred Monday morning in Fauquier County. The majority of crashes have involved only damage to vehicles and no injuries.
If you do HAVE to travel, then please keep these safety tips in mind:
• Bridges freeze first!
• Clear off ALL snow from your vehicle – windows, roof, trunk and lights
• Add extra time to reach travel destination
• Slow speed for road conditions
• Increase driving distances between vehicles for increased stopping distance
• Buckle up and don’t drive distracted
• MOVE OVER for all stopped emergency vehicles, highway vehicles and tow trucks.