United Way of Southwest Virginia raised $1.5 million,
During the campaigns, United Way raised 85 percent of their goal and still need $225,000 to reach their final goal.
United Way uses the necessary funds to make an impact on many individuals and families.
If you would like to help United Way of Southwest Virginia reach their goal visit www.unitedwayswva.org, or mail a pledge or donation to P.O. Box 644 Abingdon, Va. 24212.
For more information, call the United Way office at 276-628-2160.
United Way of Southwest Virginia served many people in 2014.
Below is listed the donations that were effected through United Way.
• The Food Bank of Wise County is feeding 583 families;
• Family Crisis Support Services will provide shelter to 180 homeless people and victims of domestic violence;
• Lonesome Pine Office on Youth has 113 local families participating in its parent aid mentoring program;
• Boy Scouts of America has 294 young people participating in leadership development skills;
• Smart Beginning will serve 157 children ages birth to five with books;
• Appalachia Community Action and Development Agency will serve a total of 10 low-income individuals with need housing repairs;
• Commonwealth Catholic Charities’ CASA program is acting as a Court Appointed Special Advocate for 15 children;
• Goodwill Industries is providing employment for two individuals with disabilities;
• Southwest Virginia Legal Aid will provide free legal services to 40 victims of domestic violence.