Effective September 1, it will be illegal to feed deer statewide in Virginia. The annual prohibition runs through the first Saturday in January.
- All feed must be removed from any deer feeding site prior to September 1.
- Any area where deer feed has been distributed is considered a "baited" area and cannot be hunted over for 10 days following the complete removal of the food.
- It is illegal to feed deer or elk in any county, city, or town during any deer or elk hunting season.
- It is illegal to feed deer year-round in Clarke, Frederick, Shenandoah, and Warren counties and in the City of Winchester as part of the Department’s chronic wasting disease (CWD) management actions.
- These restrictions do not apply to agricultural plantings (including wildlife food plots) or food distributed to livestock.